A lively week of community conversations about making Austin streets safer, friendlier for people walking and biking, greener, and more vibrant | Oct. 25-31, 2015
For complete details on individual events, and to get tickets, click on the individual EventBrite links below.
Help us get the word out by liking Better Streets Week and inviting your friends on Facebook.
Events hosted by diverse community groups and the City of Austin
How can Austin streets work better and become better places for people and our city? Come join the conversation during Better Streets Week. It includes 15 fun and stimulating FREE talks, tours and socials co-hosted by over two dozen community nonprofits, professional groups, and City departments.
Schedule of Events: Better Streets Week, Oct. 25-31
Community talks and tours are FREE; a small fee may apply for food/drink. Advance registration and ticketing is required; register now, as event seating and tour spots are limited.
Get Event Tickets: Click on individual event names below, to register and get tickets on Eventbrite.
Sunday, October 25, 2015
- Better Streets for Cycling Tour, 2:00 – 5:00 PM
- Streetscapes & Public Art: A Downtown Walking Tour, 10:00 – 11:30 AM
- Better Streets by B-Cycle Tour, 12:00 – 2:00 PM
Monday, October 26, 2015
- Fast-Paced Stories: What Transportation Data Tells Us, 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
Tuesday, October 27, 2015
- Greening Our Streets @ South Central Waterfront, 8:00 – 9:00 AM Breakfast
- Get Happy with Complete Streets, a transportation professionals social, 5:00 – 6:30 PM
Wednesday, October 28, 2015
- Green Streets: Learning from Philadelphia, with Ariel Ben-Amos, 8:00 – 9:00 AM Breakfast
- Young Leaders Happy Hour with Gabe Klein, author of Start-Up City, 5:00 – 6:30 PM $15 Ticket
Thursday, October 26, 2015
- Street Costs: A Strong Towns Talk by Chuck Marohn, 7:45 – 9:00 AM Breakfast
- NACTO Keynote Luncheon: Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter (NACTO Conference registrants only)
- Shifting Gears: A Roadmap for Safer Streets and Smarter Cites, by Janette Sadik-Khan, 5:30 – 8:00 PM
- Great Streets, Great City: A Talk by Victor Dover, 7:45 – 9:00 AM Breakfast
- Healthy Streets: Austin Talks with Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver, 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM Lunch
- Bike Austin Social Ride, 8 PM
- Capital Metro Halloween Shopping & Transit Adventure, 9:30 AM – 1:15 PM
- Austin BikeFest presented by BikeTexas and Capital Metro, 12:00 – 4:00 PM
- Halloween Night: Party and Ride Home Safe with Capital Metro until 2:30 – 3:00 AM
Questions? Contact Lauren.Seyda@AustinTexas.gov.
About NACTO Designing Cities 2015
Better Streets Week is concurrent with NACTO Designing Cities 2015. Learn more or register at www.NACTO.org. This leading national transportation conference focuses on how cities can make their streets safer, more livable, and more economically vibrant. Speakers will share knowledge about how Austin’s peer cities are making their streets better for people and for safer, more comfortable, and more convenient for all modes of city travel. Over 30 tours will showcase Austin street improvements.
The National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) is one of country’s most innovative transportation organizations; Austin is one of 40 member NACTO cities.