The 2014-2019 Strategic Plan was created with the input of over 1400 BikeTexas members, supporters, sponsors, and potential supporters and partners. “This strategy will help the staff and board ensure the organization is taking action to increase cycling throughout Texas. The fact that our strategy is strong and was created by the community lets us know that what we’re doing is going to succeed with the support of all people who bike across the state,” says Annie Melton, BikeTexas Board Chair. You can read more about the process of developing our strategic plan by clicking here. You can also download a PDF of the plan by clicking here.
BikeTexas – Whole System Strategic Planning Project
BikeTexas advances bicycle access, safety, and education. We encourage and promote bicycling, increased
safety, and improved conditions. We unite and inspire people and provide a cohesive voice for people who ride bikes in
BikeTexas envisions millions of people riding bikes. Bicycling is an everyday, mainstream activity in communities
across Texas. Bicycling is recognized, accommodated, and funded as a legitimate and essential mode of transportation
throughout Texas. Texas residents embrace a healthy and active lifestyle that includes safe and convenient active
transportation options. As a result, Texas communities benefit from improved health, stronger economies, and a higher
quality of life. Texas is a national model for innovative bicycle-friendly transportation facilities and programs.
- We believe in the power of the grassroots cycling community and our ability to drive change through open communication, consistent collaboration, building trust, and engaged public participation.
- We pursue creative transportation solutions that increase bicycling, walking, and access to public transit to improve the health, vibrancy, and quality of life for all Texans.
- We are committed to improving access to a complete and efficient multimodal transportation system for all Texans, including those who live in communities and areas that have been historically underserved.
- We are passionate about increasing the number of people who bicycle safely, confidently, and knowledgeably.
- We are committed to engaging all people who bike, and we partner with diverse groups for effective change.
- We are fiscally, ethically, professionally, and environmentally responsible with our resources and in our work.
Goals, Strategies, and Objectives
BikeTexas will continue to build its capacity to both serve statewide advocacy and support local advocacy across the state. To support our five-year strategy, by 2019 we will:
- Ensure a diverse, dedicated, knowledgeable, and strong staff and board of directors to achieve our work;
- Ensure the organization’s budget has diverse, abundant, and sustainable funding streams;
- Triple the grassroots network and BikeTexas membership;
- Develop partner relationships that further BikeTexas’s mission;
- Increase the diversity of the cycling movement;
- Cultivate local leaders to increase future success;
- Conduct a capital campaign to purchase a building; and,
- Develop alliances with local and national cycling organizations to increase grassroots membership.
Over the next two years, regarding capacity we will:
- Diversify funding streams and expand income-generating activities
- Strengthen support from individuals, organizations, and corporate supporters
- Improve BikeTexas’s public communications by better coordinating our messaging strategies across all our media
2. Statewide advocacy
By 2019, BikeTexas will bring together lawmakers and people who bike to:
- Pass needed legislation to advance cycling across the state;
- Build a diverse coalition of support for statewide cycling advocacy;
- Double the amount of funding for bikeway improvements and/or additions throughout the state;
- Strengthen legal and infrastructure protection for cyclists;
- Ensure TxDOT accommodates cycling in all road projects; and,
- Establish a system to measure mode share in the state and double the bicycle mode share in Texas cities.
Over the next two years, regarding statewide advocacy we will:
- Utilize relationships with policymakers to help realize more concrete, on-the-ground results to increase cycling
- Develop grassroots support to ensure more legislative success in 2015
- Help Texas government leaders implement existing policies to increase cycling
3. Local Advocacy
By 2019, BikeTexas will increase local presence and/or support for local advocacy and leaders to:
- Create networks of trails, high quality bicycle infrastructure, and supporting facilities to advance cycling;
- Help 15 Texas communities create bike plans;
- Help five communities implement their bicycle plans;
- Open three staffed regional offices in collaboration with local stakeholders to advance advocacy efforts; and,
- Pass local ordinances such as Complete Streets and Safe Passing.
Over the next two years, regarding local advocacy we will:
- Utilize online resources and interactive networks to help advance local advocacy
- Work with local advocates and jurisdictions to develop, fund, and implement bike plans
- Expand BikeTexas’s local presence (leveraging our experience from the Brownsville model) to help advance local or regional advocacy goals
4. Federal Advocacy
Collaborate with other state and national organizations to influence and support federal bicycle-related legislation and policy. By 2019, we will develop an advocacy presence in every Texas Congressional district.
Over the next two years, regarding federal advocacy we will:
- Increase BikeTexas’s influence with the Texas Congressional delegation
- Collaborate with national bike advocacy organizations to advance federal policy and legislation
- Work with fellow southern state advocacy organizations to nurture the most effective strategies to advance cycling in politically conservative states.
By 2019, BikeTexas will host or nurture educational programs that:
- Increase the safety of children who bike and walk throughout the state;
- Increase the awareness and acceptance of bicycling by motorists;
- Increase the awareness and observance of traffic laws by cyclists; and,
- Provide enhanced professional training for governmental staff, elected and appointed officials, design
- professionals, law enforcement, and planners.
Over the next two years, regarding education we will:
- Sustain efforts that engage Texas youth with high-quality bike safety education
- Increase awareness of law enforcement and motorists about safer behaviors toward people who bike
- Co-produce the 2014 TTAT conference, attracting hundreds of advocates, policy-makers, and transportation professionals
By 2019, BikeTexas will engage a variety of partners and people who bike to:
- Increase awareness of cycling throughout the state;
- Inspire people to bike safely, legally, and confidently;
- Involve diverse groups or those who don’t currently identify as “bicyclists”; and,
- Grow excitement and enthusiasm resulting in increased acceptance of bicycling as a mode of transportation.
Over the next two years, regarding encouragement we will:
- Collaborate with established tourism industry leaders to help them increase economic development
- through increased bicycle tourism
- Produce and encourage events that attract people who do not identify as cyclists
- Foster public information campaigns and programs that encourage safety and bicycling for transportation