UPDATE: The TTC’s office is redirecting comments to TxDOT’s standard comment form, which has a 350-character limit. That’s not a lot of space to say what you have to say. Therefore, we will print and hand-deliver your emails to the meeting for you to be sure that the TTC hears from all Texans who ride bikes. Please email email@example.com by 8 AM on Thursday, September 18 to ensure we get your comments in time for Thursday’s meeting.
In just two days, the Texas Transportation Commission (TTC) will vote on rules that allow TxDOT to move funds from bike/ped projects to general highway projects, despite receiving 544 comments from around the state asking them to keep that money where it is.
We’re not letting this go without a fight. The TTC, essentially TxDOT’s board of directors, will vote on these rules at their meeting on Thursday, September 18, beginning at 9 AM at 125 E 11th St in Austin (map).
If you are able to attend this meeting, please do! The meeting starts at 9AM and usually runs until 12PM. If you’d like to speak at the meeting, sign up to speak on agenda item 7a(1) or 7a(2). We’ve provided a sample script for emailed or in-person comments below.
- My name is ______ and I live in ______. My occupation is _______.
- I (or spouse/family member/etc.) ride a bike in Texas and I want TAP funds to be used solely for TAP purposes.
- Do not approve agenda item 7a(1) or 7a(2) at the Thursday, Sept 18 meeting. Postpone voting on these rules until they reflect the sentiment of the comments you have received. Preserve TAP money in TAP and give communities the tools they need for successful projects.
- (Feel free to personalize this email as you like and let the TTC know why this is important to you.)
- Please print this email and deliver it to my commissioners.
You can watch the meeting live by visiting this link and clicking on the media button next to September 18 once the meeting has started on Thursday. Thank you for participating in this process and making Texas a great place to bike and walk.