Free shipping on all bike lights!
Since the early 1960s, the Amarillo-area Girl Scouts-Five Star Council has leased the 331-acre Landis Property from the federal government for use as a campground, jamboree site, hike and bike ranch and outdoor recreation facility.
The Girl Scouts have long held the goal of owning the property outright. Friday, January 13, 2006, marked the formal deeding of the property from the federal government to the Girl Scouts-Five Star Council for the payment of $1.
The Landis Property, also known as the Picture Pump Camp, was purchased by the Department of the Interior from G.D. Landis in 1938, and was administered by the Bureau of Mines for many years. Later, the Helium Privatization Act transferred the property to the U.S. Bureau of Land Managment (BLM).
Many city, state and federal officials joined local enthusiasts to participate in the ribbon cutting on January 13. This ceremony marks the culmination of many years of collaborative effort on the part of the BLM, the Girl Scouts and other visionaries in the U.S. Congress and the Amarillo community.
The Girl Scouts have improved the property by building sleeping cabins, a kitchen, restrooms, pavilion, storage buildings and a corral on the property. In addition to regularly scheduled events, the Girl Scouts planned a Bike and Hike Ranch for the Scouts and the general public on the property. The first annual Girl Scout Thin Mint Challenge (#2 in the Chain Breaker Series) was held on September 10, 2005.
The Girl Scouts, Old Tascosa Cycling Club, bike shops and advocates and Texas Bicycle Coalition have worked together to bring this dream to a reality. A lot of hard man-hours have gone into developing the hike and bike trails. Take the time to enjoy them at every opportunity. It’s well worth it.