Earn .50 Credits for these certifications: APA / AICP, ASLA
35 min. Video Course | Quiz | Certificate of Completion
The Red Line Parkway Initiative was founded in 2017 to support a 32-mile linear park along an existing commuter rail line in Austin. Speaker Tom Wald will discuss the full cycle from conception through the present, and our plans for implementation and growth. The session will cover:
- An overview of our current plan for the Red Line Parkway;
- Organizational start-up steps, including beginning with what we had;
- An overview of our initial prospectus, i.e. our business plan;
- Implementation challenges, including coordination among government entities, engineering constraints, and trail funding;
- Successes and lessons learned in our first six months with paid, professional staff;
- Our plans for the next few years of the organization and the parkway.
- Identify signature trail opportunities in your area and complete initial feasibility research
- Develop your organization’s plan
- Secure your initial organizational resources, and build strong and broad support for your trail and organization
Speaker: Tom Wald, Executive Director, Red Line Parkway Initiative
Tom Wald is Executive Director and Founder of the Red Line Parkway Initiative. He is a long-time bicycling and walking advocate, including currently serving on the board of People United for Mobility Action, Austin Outside, and Walk Austin, and serving as the first Executive Director of Bike Austin, a Co-Founder of UT Austin Orange Bike Project, and many years on Austin’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Councils. He enjoyed growing up in Minneapolis on its many trails and well-connected neighborhood streets, sidewalks, and urban fabric.