Please sign the petition in response to the Bartonville ordinance. September 16, 2010 – Update: Comments per September 9 meeting between BikeTexas and Bartonville officials BikeTexas Executive Director Robin Stallings met Thursday, September 9, 2010, with Bartonville Mayor Ron Robertson, Chief of Police Dave Howell and Town Administrator Debbie Millican. BikeTexas posted a thank-you letter […]
Texas Bicycle Coalition works because Texans get involved.
Whether it's travelling to Austin to testify in a Senate or House committee hearing, visiting your school board and advocating for inclusion of the Texas SuperCyclist Curriculum in your child's school, or passing along our BikeTexas Today eNewsletter to friends you think should support our work, BikeTexas needs your help to build a better state of bicycling for all Texans.
BikeTexas represents you before our federal and state legislatures. We meet with the offices of our Senators and Congressional Representatives twice in March, participate in the League of American Bicyclists National Bike Summit, and the International Mountain Bike Association 24 Hours of IMBA. Typically on our BikeTexas Cyclists in Suits- Texas Lobby Day, dozens of advocates visit all 181 state legislators’ offices in Austin. BikeTexas testifies before several Texas Senate and House Committees and our members and volunteers place thousands of calls to the offices of legislators advocating important bicycling bills. Thanks to these efforts the voice of Texas cyclists are resounding in the ears of our legislators.
How to get involved with BikeTexas advocacy efforts:
- Join BikeTexas
- Order a BikeTexas License Plate for your vehicle.
- Write your local, state and federal legislators, informing them that you support the efforts of BikeTexas and the pro-bike legislation advocated by this organization. More information about contacting your legislators can be found here.
- Attend advocacy events like BikeTexas Cyclists in Suits, League of American Bicyclists National Bike Summit, and International Mountain Bike Association 24 Hours of IMBA. Meet with other bicycle advocates and increase the impact of your legislative visit exponentially.
- Provide BikeTexas with your email address and we'll send you Action Alerts when we urgently need you to contact your legislators or submitt testimony for Committee hearings.
- Subscribe to the BikeTexas Today eNewsletter email list.
- Spread the word about BikeTexas. Tell your friends about us and our programs. Encourage them to purchase a BikeTexas sponsored License Plate to support bicycle safety education in Texas and advocate for cyclists' rights while driving.
Safe Passing Talking Points The language for the Safe Passing Ordinance is identical to that of SB 488, which passed in the 2009 Texas legislative session by a unanimous vote in the House, and a vote of 25-5 in the Senate. The bill was then vetoed by Governor Rick Perry. SB 488 was authored […]