Schools across Texas are opening their doors for the fall semester, and the trickle of students heading back will become a flood by the end of August. As your household transitions back to a time of learning, are you planning for biking and walking?
Biking or walking to school gives your child tremendous health and mental benefits. Childhood obesity is on the rise across the US, and regular physical activity can help protect your child: the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend 60 minutes of physical activity every day for children and adolescents.
In addition to getting kids active, studies have shown a link between children being active on their way to school and their ability to concentrate once they arrive. Doss Elementary School in Austin has noticed this firsthand; in 2012, Amanda Swann said of the school’s bike/walk program, “children who walk/ride to school are much better prepared to sit and learn and have gotten those ‘wiggles’ out on that trip to school instead of during school.”
So, time to get everybody ready to roll!
- Teach your children how to do the ABC Quick Check before every ride.
- Make sure everyone in your family has a properly fitted helmet.
- Need to get your kids motivated to wear a helmet? Show them the BikeTexas CATS Safety Bling! video.
- Be ready for daylight hours to get shorter– order BikeTexas Bike Lights for the whole family.
- Get a refresher on the rules of the road with the Texas Bicycle Laws Activity Cards.
- Find more fun ways to learn about biking and walking on the BikeTexas Educational Resources page!
- Does your bike need a tuneup? Check out the BikeTexas bike shop members in your area.
Want to plan a Bike/Walk to School Day for your school or community?
- International Walk to School Day is October 9!
- Get ready with BikeTexas’ Event Handbook.
- Go to the Walk to School Day site to find out if an event is planned near you or to register your event.
And don’t forget about the BikeTexas KidsKup! If your kids love to ride their bikes and are ready for a new challenge, it may be time to try mountain biking! BikeTexas KidsKup races are held in conjunction with TMBRA races in the spring and fall.
- Check out the KidsKup schedule here.
- Be sure to join our mailing list so you get a reminder when KidsKup will be in your area.
Above all, have a great school year, and happy riding!