A new bill in Congress would take steps to advance equity for bicyclists and pedestrians across racial and income groups, while boosting funding for bicycle and pedestrian projects in low-income communities.
H.R. 3978 provides opportunities for low-income communities by:
- Creating a low-interest long-term loan program for communities to build biking and walking networks.
- Requiring 25% of the funding to be spent in low-income communities.
- Setting aside $11 million from the $1 billion dollar TIFIA loan program funded in MAP-21.
- Offering a new tool for mayors and local governments to finance needed transportation infrastructure.
- And doesn’t add any new costs to the transportation bill, or to the federal budget.